Lactation Consultations with IBCLC® Katrina Tucker
Antenatal and Postnatal Services available.
Breastfeeding education before your baby arrives in the comfort of your own home.
Sessions run for 1-2 hrs depending on your needs. Cost is $120 an hour. Private Health Fund rebates may apply.
What to expect with an antenatal home visit?
- Learn about breastfeeding before your baby arrives.
- The opportunity to practice correct positioning and attachment using various educational tools.
- Learn how to work with your baby and your breasts.
- Learning to understand your breasts, understanding normal newborn behaviours at the breast before and after the breastfeed, milk transferring, softening of breast, attachment issues and how to overcome these.
- Discover the importance of the first feed and early breast stimulation.
- Become aware of the changes your breasts go through during pregnancy, postnatally and during continued breastfeeding.
- Learn how to express your breasts, the benefits of this and how to store breastmilk.
- Learn how to manage commonly occurring breastfeeding problems and where to go for help.
- Learn normal baby output, intake, weight gain, newborn behaviour, and frequency and length of feedings.
- Learn the signs that tell you that your baby is getting enough breastmilk at each feed.
- Learn about the community supports available to you as a new mother.
Breastfeeding education, increasing your knowledge after your baby arrives, managing and fixing problems. Sessions can go for 1-2 hours depending on your needs.
Fees: A home visit $180 per hour (or part thereof) and includes follow up phone calls, Private Health Fund rebates may apply.
Skype consultations available on request.
What to expect with a postnatal consultation?
- Identifying your goals.
- History taking to identify past and present problem areas.
- Assessment of your baby, and your breasts.
- Assessment of a breastfeed.
- Education given with regards to the breastfeed, reading the feed, milk transfer, supply, suck to swallow ratio, contented baby versus discontented baby at the breast and what this all means.
- Learn the characteristics of a good breastfeed.
- Acceptable verses poor weight gain and how to best manage this
- Tackling issues such as breastfeeding after breast surgery and what this means for you, if applicable.
- Education provided with expressing using hand and pump to best suit your needs.
- Correct education of interventions including nipple shields if required.
- Tools to manage various situations.
- Devising a management plan in consultation with you.
- Follow up phone calls usually 2-3 days after the consultation.
- Settling baby to sleep education is also offered, if required.
To book a consultation please phone on 0421 332 302, email or via the contact form below.
Please check with your Private Health Fund to see if your policy covers you for antenatal breastfeeding education or postnatal lactation consultancy.
To date health fund rebates for members in MBF, HCF, AHM, NIB and Australian Unity are available.
A $50.00 cancellation fee occurs if appointments are cancelled withless than 24hrs notice.